Monday, November 16, 2009

Fall Projects (and missed Summer FOs too)

I'm back! I didn't fall off the face of the knitting world. I lost my blogging mojo over the summer but I've finished a couple of knitting projects since my Pucker top. Pucker served me well over the warm months. It's a wonderful linen silk blend that kept me cool and comfy. Definitely one of my favorite knits.

Some stash I've acquired over the past year or two were used up. First was the Dream in Color Baby for the Whisper Cardigan. I like it but the fit of it is a little odd for me. I always feel like I have to keep pulling on the sides to cover my exposed underarms. Other than that it's a light cardi that keeps the chill off my back and shoulders.

Next is the Wabisabi shawl made from Noro Kochoran. I haven't used it yet, but will be during the winter. I'll be using it at work in my lap to keep my lower half warm while I sit at my desk. Only problem I'll have is the angora sticking to my clothing. Will need to have a lint roller on hand so I don't look like a fuzzy rabbit roaming the office.

My next project was made for Bubba's aunt...a Shetland Shawl made from Fiberphile Sock Yarn. The vibrant blue/brown yarn was much too nice to be made into a sock. It was also my first full fledged lace project. I'm not a fan of lace for myself, but I'll do it for others. In this case it was for her birthday. Bub's aunt always asks me to make something for her, I don't think she was expecting anything lacy though. I was trying to tell her that it's not something you don't have to wear just on your shoulders like a little old lady (which is exactly what she said she felt like)...but to wear it around her neck like a light scarf. Oh well, I tried (reminds me why I don't make stuff for people anymore). I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished product. Next time I'm at her house I'll make her dig it out of the bottom of her drawer and take a picture of her wearing it. Old lady or not.

On the search for that perfect fall project, I listened to one of the Stash and Burn podcasts and re-discovered Ysolda Teague's Vine Yoke Cardigan. I originally saw it in Twist's (twist.com) fall pattern catalog but it didn't catch my eye until I went through a list of sweater suggestions in the Stash and Burn site. I totally fell for the pattern because the yoke is beautiful! I started to knit it up with a stash of Cascade 220 I received 2 Christmases ago...a deep burgandy shade. Then I screwed up by missing some row repeats in the right arm and side. It was just as well since the yarn was awful! It kept breaking. I could only spit splice yarn so many times!!! As soon as I decided to start over I immediately went to the yarn store and purchased Cascade's Eco+. It's a really good reasonably priced yarn. The gauge is much thicker, about aran weight.

I'm now 3/4 of the way done and have 1 skein (of 3) left to use.
I really hope I don't need more than 3 skeins. I'm cursing myself for running out of the 2nd skein of yarn at work without bringing the 3rd skien with me! It's been slow at work and the co-worker that I usually stare at all day isn't here today. I thought I'd be able to secretly knit in private. What a waste of prime knitting time! I'd like to finish this to wear for Thanksgiving. I think it's a decent goal. I've got just over a week. Wish me luck.

No comments: