Monday, January 03, 2011

Getting reacquainted with Malabrigo

I recently got my Aidez off the needles. Everything has been blocked and dried except for the sleeves which are now currently being blocked and drying. Ten skeins were the perfect amount to complete the knitting but not the seaming. I didn't want to spend too much on another skein and didn't want to have to order online (because NO ONE LOCAL has Berocco Peruvia Quick!) and wait another week for it. I went to Michael's to find a similar yarn to use for seaming. It also helped that I've been holding on to a Michael's gift card I received 2 birthdays ago. Because of the holidays there wasn't much selection of what I needed on the shelves. Lion Wool-ease Thick and Quick in Oat was the closest I could find. It's lighter in color to what I need but I'll cross my fingers and hope it works. Seaming yarn isn't supposed to show anyway. Did I say I hope this works?

While I wait the sleeves to dry I immediately put The Last Hour Hat on the needles. It HAD to be. I mean, did you see how cute and simple and Anthropologiesque it looks? I'm not much of a hat wearer but maybe after I finish Last Hour I will be. I think the pattern author has been published in Vogue Knitting numerous times and definitely want to knit her Eternity Scarf pattern as well. So many projects and so little time.

I originally wanted to make the hat for my sister-in-law as a Christmas gift but time got away from me. I had bought a couple balls of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran to make it with but changed my mind the moment I found Malabrigo Worsted at Imagiknit. To my knowledge, they have the largest stock of Malabrigo in the area. They always have a ton whenever I go there. I haven't been to Article Pract as much but I have a feeling they have a huge stock of it too. I think what turns me off from going is the sometimes sketchy location and not easily finding free and close parking.

So back to Malabrigo...I forgot how much I love it! I know I just made an earflap hat with the much chunkier version of Malabrigo, but worsted is so soft on the skin that I wish I could sleep on a pile of skeins. I can imagine it would feel like sleeping on a cloud. I'm sure I'll finish up the hat by next week at the lastest because I'm determined to get Ishbel on my needles ASAP. With what yarn? A Verb for Keeping Warm's Annapurna. I purchased it over a year ago and haven't known what to do with it until now. There was a store sample at Verb's new store opening and it was beautiful. I'm also not much of a triangular shawl wearer but it could easily be wrapped around my neck instead to show off the lace pattern.

I think 2011 will be a great year of knitting projects. Let's get knitting!

No comments: