Thursday, March 13, 2014

Long time no knit? Hardly!

I've been knitting non-stop in the past year but haven't been project blogging in over a year. I haven't done any large sweater projects, but that's not to say I haven't tried. 99% of the reason is probably because I ran into some problems and haven't been able to figure how to get past it so I put it aside till I could get help to fix it. Frustration isn't something I want to deal with when I'm knitting for relaxation.

Toe up socks with slip stitch flap heel
I'm on my 3rd pair of toe up socks using my old stash yarn that's at least 5+ years old. I must use what I have since I miserably failed to not go over budget at Stitches West last month. Massive F-A-I-L!!! Socks are fairly quick projects too...at least the simple patterns are. I'm still figuring out the way I like to make socks. I know I like to make them toe up and 2 at a time on magic loop to avoid second sock syndrome. It's sooooo nice that once the project is off the needles it is done and I can move on to the next.

I've kept the socks very vanilla and trying different ways to do the dreaded heel turn. The picture above uses Shubui superwash merino sock yarn that is now discontinued. It softened up a lot after the yarn relaxed when I blocked it. It's so nice on my feet that I wish it was colder so I could wear them. I tend to live in flip flops and TOMS when it gets warmer.

I don't have a completed pic of my 2nd sock (used multi-colored yarn of Koigu KPPPM sock yarn) but below is the beginning of the 3rd I started yesterday. It's a wonderfully cushy soft merino/silk blend yarn. Colorway is named "Forks, WA" created by an indie dyer for her Twilight themed collection.  I decided to not split the yarn into two balls. Instead I'm using one end from the inside and another end from the outside of the yarn cake for each sock. Clearly, one end favors gray and the other green...very much like how the movie shows the lush greenery of Forks with a layer of Northwestern fog covering it. My intention was not to use this yarn for socks because my feet did not seem worthy at the time I bought it for silk. Eh, screw it. YOLO! Couldn't think of anything to use it for either. Maybe a fingering weight cowl but I've got enough of those. I'm sticking with the green theme this month due to the St. Patrick's Day holiday and the kick off for Oakland A's spring training...and I have a helluva lot of green sock yarn because it's one of my fave colors. I still have one more set of green sock yarn to go.

twilight forks socks
Alright...back to the job hunt grind. The weather has been so nice out that I don't feel like staying inside but have to or I feel guilty. I want to get in my car and just go somewhere for a week. Sadly, I need money to finance a road trip like that. I'm hoping that I get that chance by this time next  year after I've earrned enough PTO. Send all the well wishes, positivity, and prayers this way so I can be put out of my misery and finally make some money again.

No comments: