Monday, February 04, 2008

Another lesson learned after knitting a sweater

I'm done with the Tilted Duster with the exception of button placement. It's blocked and the sleeves were a bit damp but I tried it on anyway with the anticipation of loving everything about it.

Before blocking, the ribbing was ridiculously tight and I was concerned. There was a lot of "butt hugging" going on. Last thing I need is attention in that area of my body. Fortunately I found other Ravelry TD knitters who gave tips to assure others that the hugging will become drapey after blocking and they were right. The back turned out great. It's the front and sides of the skirt that came out too big. *pout*

The sides of the skirt. Oh man. Where do I begin? They look like wings. OK, I'm being way to critical but it's just not how I expected this sweater to turn out. I wasn't expecting so much positive ease when I thought I was going to have too much negative ease. There must be a way to re-plump the wool without fucking it up. I swear there's an article somewhere...


So my hard lesson learned this time? Wet block swatches before casting on and be patient. No matter what. I read this tip all the time regarding swatching but I never do. Now I know why. I could've gone down a needle size or gone down one sweater size.

Once I move my buttons to a better spot on the collar I'll take some pics. For now, I need some time to grow to like my TD because I'm not sure if I want to take her out in public.

No comments: