Monday, March 16, 2009

Lookie! I'm weaving!


I've been interested in weaving for the past year but didn't know how to go about getting my feet wet. There haven't been many weaving classes offered in these parts for a reasonable fee. I've seen beginning classes that were over $500. WTF? At Urban Fauna there was a weaving class offered BUT you have to purchase a beginners loom that's over $150 for the class. I didn't want to invest in a loom until I tried it.

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the Y knit Podcast and the subject was about Berkeley's own A Verb for Keeping Warm. They're starting rigid heddle loom weaving classes for beginners! I signed up ASAP. The first 2 hour class was yesterday and it was great. It went by fast. The majority of the class was learning how to set up the loom. Man, it takes a long time! After that it goes fast and you can get a scarf done in a day. Plus use up a bunch of stash! We were sent home with the small cricket loom to finish our scarves. I'm so glad it's not a loom we had to purchase. Instead it's to re-use for future classes.

It looks like I'll be feeding another addiction. After I finish the current knitting projects and have a little more money saved up I'll definitely be looking for a rigid heddle loom of my own.

No comments: