Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Have I mentioned I don't like knitting lace?

Ishbel

Ishbel + A Verb for Keeping Warm's Annapurna = New found LOVE for lace.

Let me clarify about not liking knitting lace. I prefer lace that's not knitted from fingering or lace weight yarn. Annapurna's sport gauge and drape is a wonderful choice for this project. I like how weighty it feels. Unfortunately, Verb is discontinuing this yarn. At Stitches they'll be selling whatever is left at a discount. *sad face* As soon as I hit Blue Moon to get my Woobu fix, I'll be heading to the Verb booth soon after. (Note to self: Print out Stitches booth layout and come up with a game plan.)

As you can see, the edging is a different color. I ran out of Silk Velvet and shortly after I got the news about Annapurna getting discontinued. Naturally, I freaked out. What to do with an unfinished Ishbel and no available yarn? I asked the Verb board on Ravelry if anyone had some in their stash they're willing to part with and sell to me. No luck. Instead I got an idea from a member to use a different color to finish.

Idea #1 - Rip back to the stockinette part and use a new color for the lace.
Idea #2 - Rip back to the beginning of the edging section and use color for edging.

As you can see, you can tell what option I took. Frogging all the lace work is equal to stabbing my chest with a knife and twisting it. I couldn't do it. Going back two rows and starting the edging over was less painful.

Ishbel

The 2nd color is Thai Iced Tea. It was the only color on Verb's shelves that looked like it could work. What do you think?

I was worried that I wouldn't get the finished dimensions so I blocked the crap out of this shawl. I'm able to wrap my neck so it worked. The only thing I shouldn't have done is made the points so pointy. I got overly excited using my blocking wires for the first time while watching The Bachelor. My mind clearly wasn't all there.

I'm so stoked I finished 2 shawlettes within a week! Citron is off the needles too.

Citron

I apologize for the shitty iPhone pic I took in my dark cave cubicle. Next time I wear it I'll take better photos with a real camera.

What's on the needles now? Goodale made with madelinetosh Pashmina. OMG. So luxurious. At about $30 a skein it better last me through my old age. My freakin' great granddaughter better be able to wear it or re-purpose the yarn into something else. I can't wait to get it done by the time the weather warms up! It's a lot of boring endless stockinette. Kill me. On the other hand, it's great for mindless knitting at work during down time.

No comments: